This pencil topper craft for kids uses basic simple sewing skills or you can use glue. It is great for kids of all ages to try sewing for the first time or to create something special to take with them to school. Making a pencil topper works as a fun back to school craft, party craft and favor or something fun to hand out to classmates.
Pencil Topper Craft Idea for Kids
A little bit of goofy love to send off with your little ones for their return to school! These DIY felt heart pencil toppers with marker drawn faces will bring a little joy to their day and make writing even more fun.
These heart shaped pencil toppers with funny faces remind me a little of emojis. You can create whatever expression works best for your mood at any given time. Make several different mood pencil toppers to change out when desired!
This article contains affiliate links.
Supplies Needed to Make Pencil Topper Craft
Directions to Personalize Your Own Pencil Topper
Cut the scraps of felt into heart shapes, you need two hearts per pencil topper craft you make.
Sew around the edges with the embroidery thread leaving a gap at the bottom for the pencil to insert.
No-sew: Alternatively, you can glue the outer edges together with some fabric glue!
Then invite your kids to draw on their little heart faces – happy, goofy, confused….. they decide!
- scraps of felt
- embroidery thread and an embroidery needle
- thin black permanent marker
- For the no-sew version: use fabric glue instead of embroidery thread and needle
- Cut felt scraps into heart shapes. You will need two matching heart shapes for each pencil topper.
- Sew or glue around the edges of the hearts leaving a little space at the bottom to insert a pencil.
- With a permanent marker, add a face to your pencil topper!
More Pencil Crafts & Fun from Kids Activities Blog
How did your pencil topper craft turn out? What faces did you draw with the Sharpies?