Last Updated: August 21, 2022, 14:01 IST
Once in a while, every dog parent has returned home to some unexpected damage inflicted on their shoes, rugs, furniture, or other items by their dog. But it is common for the furry animal to examine things in their surrounding by tasting them.
However, for some dogs, the way to take in new information through their mouths can turn into destructive chewing behaviour and serious biting issues.
This behaviour of your dog is not only destroying your valuable things but jeopardizing your dog’s health and safety too. Before looking at how to prevent your dog from chewing, understand your dog.
It helps to know things like why dogs chew, and what they prefer to chew.
There can be several reasons for the destructive chewing behaviour:
- Much like infants and toddlers, puppies chew to relieve teething pain
- They like to explore the world with their mouths
- Some find chewing soothing as it calms them down
- To get rid of boredom
- When suffering from separation anxiety
- Lack of training can be another reason
Now, as you have identified the cause, know how to stop your dog’s chewing.
- Take responsibility for your belongings
- Don’t keep your clothing, shoes, socks, books, trash, eyeglasses, remote controls,
- and other small items in your dog’s reach.
- Get your dog toys that are distinguishable from household items
- Offer your dog plush toys or bones
- Punishment is not the right way
- Train your dog properly. Positive reinforcement methods will make your dog to even give up the most fun items.
- If your dog seems bored, don’t ignore it. Amuse them with activities that are based on their age, health, and breed characteristics.
- Supervise your dog
- If you spot your puppy teething, give them a rubber toy, it will soothe their gums.
Read the Latest News and Breaking News here