Marvel Comics provided CBR with an exclusive preview of Avengers 1,000,000 BC #1, by Jason Aaron, Kev Walker, Dean White and VC’s Cory Petit. The pages tease the upcoming reveal about Thor Odinson’s true origins.
Based on the Norse god of the same name, the Marvel Comics version of Thor was created by Stan Lee, Larry Lieber and Jack Kirby, having first appeared in 1962’s Journey Into Mystery #83. Generally, the hero wields Mjolnir and possesses a number of different powers corresponding to his mythological counterpart. Thor has used his formidable abilities as a part of the Avengers and is generally considered one of the Marvel Universe’s most formidable heroes.
Thor’s origins have become an important subject in the pages of Marvel’s main Avengers book recently. In issue #43 of that series, Thor learned that Lady Phoenix was actually his mother, not Gaea, the Goddess of Earth, like he’d previously thought. He’s since shown some ability to manipulate the Phoenix Force’s powers.
Both the cover and the recap page for Avengers 1,000,000 BC #1 tease Marvel finally revealing the full story of Thor’s origins. The tale begins with a battle in which many died over “seventy days and seventy nights” that earns the ire of Laufey of the Frost Giants. The Avengers of the past, years later, are traveling through a blizzard. Black Panther ends up dying. Odin tells Phoenix, who is lamenting Black Panther’s death, not to get too attached to mortals. This causes Phoenix to explode with anger and berate him for his lack of respect, leading to something of a fight between the two lovers.
You can read CBR’s exclusive preview of Avengers 1,000,000 BC #1 below alongside the solicitation information for the issue.
AVENGERS: 1,000,000 B.C. #1
- JASON AARON (W) • KEV WALKER (A) • Cover by ED McGUINNESS
- VARIANT COVER BY ALEX HORLEY
- PREHISTORIC HOMAGE VARIANT COVER BY RYAN STEGMAN
- VARIANT COVER BY SKOTTIE YOUNG
- THE SECRET ORIGIN OF THOR – REVEALED!
- They are the defenders of the dawn of time. Marvel’s first and mightiest legacy heroes. But their greatest secrets have never been revealed. Until now. Witness the dark events that shatter their ranks. See how their lives come to shape the entire future of the Marvel Universe. And be there for the monumental event that reunites them one last time: the true story of Thor’s birth.
- 40 PGS./ONE-SHOT/Rated T+ …$4.99
Avengers 1,000,000 BC #1 goes on sale Aug. 17 from Marvel Comics. The book features a main cover from EdMcGuinness and Matthew Wilson, with variants from Alex Horley; Ryan Stegman; JP Mayer and Jason Keith; and Skottie Young.
Source: Marvel Comics