This is one of the coolest pvc pipe toy projects we have done and it easily adapts to new configurations making it great for kids of all ages. I love how this interactive wall for kids is an easy way that kids play together. Activity walls allow your child to experiment and play creatively. If your child has ever experimented with tube play, these play tubes are an easy way for them to explore gravity and how things move for hours!
This article contains affiliate links.
Kids Activity Wall: Homemade Fall Wall for Kids
We originally called this project a “fall wall” because it is reminiscent of a waterfall wall with interchangeable obstacles and tubes to create new falling paths. In looking at other projects and toys that might be similar, the words “discovery wall” came up repeatedly.
Related: This activity is from our book, 101 Kids Activities that are the Bestest, Funnest Ever!
Make a Homemade Discovery Wall from PVC Pipes
Tubes + Kids = Hours of play!
During the summer our kids love to play with water walls. We have a collection of piping that they rig up and pour water through the pipes, making a lovely muddy mess in our “dirt pit”.
Related: Check out our backyard water wall
It is one of their favorite summer activities…. and now that it is winter they miss their “pouring” play. It is why we decided we needed to figure out an indoor solution for a discovery wall.
Supplies Needed to Make Indoor Activity Wall
- variety of PVC pipe connectors, small straight pieces and joints – we found that the 2 1/4 inch wide pieces were the easiest to drill through, easiest to pour through and still economical
- funnel and other plastic pieces you want to integrate into the discovery wall
- a suction cup for each piece in the discovery wall
- large plastic bin to catch the falling items
- measuring cups, large spoons and scoops
- beans, un-popped popcorn or other small material that will fall through the discovery wall
- (Optional) glue to secure suction cups to pvc and plastic pieces
Our discovery wall set was about 10 pieces total of pvc pipe and funnel pieces. You could make a much larger set. Making at least 6 pieces will give a lot of flexility when it comes to play.
We made our entire wall with roughly $10 by shopping sales at the local hardware store and checking out the dollar store too!
Directions to Make an Interactive activity Wall for Kids
Step 1 – Attach Suction Cups to PVC Pipe Segments
We drilled holes into the pipe connectors, matching the drill bit to the suction cup “fitter”.
- You want the hole to be slightly smaller than the connectors on the suction cups.
- We used a kitchen knife to help stuff the cups into/onto the PVC pipe fittings.
Once the suction cups are firmly inside the PVC tubes, they are really easy to press onto the window.
Tip: If your suction cups don’t seem to fit securely, then add some glue between the suction cup and the pvc pipe hole and allow to dry.
Step 2 – Build Your Discovery Wall
- Build the first fall wall on a window or sliding glass door. Try to make it so the beans will move from one piece to the next in a falling motion.
- Be sure to put a bin at the bottom!
- Pour the first cup of beans through the discovery wall to see how you did aligning the tubes.
Our kids played with the tubes and corn for HOURS!
More Fun DIY Games and Homemade Play from Kids Activities Blog
How did your discovery wall turn out? Did you use items that we didn’t think about using? Please let us know in the comments below…
Denial of responsibility! SamacharCentrl is an automatic aggregator of Global media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, and all materials to their authors. For any complaint, please reach us at – [email protected]. We will take necessary action within 24 hours.