Delight Restaurant and BBQ poisoning potentially caused by aconite

0

Several people are still severely ill and being treated in intensive care after a mass poisoning at a Markham, Ont. restaurant this weekend, officials say.

As many as 12 people sought medical attention after eating at a Delight Restaurant & BBQ, located at Castlemore Avenue and Markham Road, this past weekend and four individuals remain in intensive care.

York Region’s Medical Officer of Health, Dr. Barry Pakes, shared the new details on Tuesday regarding the mass poisoning incident.

“We do suspect that it was something called aconite, which is a toxin that can be found in various herbs or roots, or in particular one flower,” Pakes said, adding that testing is currently underway to confirm their theory.

The region’s top doctor said the toxin can be “accidentally mixed in with other things or intentionally,” but that there is no reason at this time to believe that the suspected poisoning was intentional.

Aconite has the potential to be deadly, and can cause diarrhea, convulsions, or arrhythmias.

On Tuesday afternoon, York Region Public Health released a statement saying “several (people) remain severely ill in hospital, but their condition is improving.”

Delight Restaurant & BBQ is now closed and anyone who ate any food from the restaurant — including dine-in, takeout, or delivery — on Aug. 27 or Aug. 28, and is experiencing symptoms, is being encouraged to seek medical attention.

Delight Restaurant & BBQ on Markham Rd. can be seen above.

Officials say that the restaurant is cooperating with the investigation. Records show that the eatery passed a health inspection in May.

Pakes added that the poisoning does look “similar” to other recent events, including an incident in Burnaby, B.C. earlier this year which saw two people attend hospital with heart irregularities following the purchase of sand ginger powder from a local mall.

In a statement to CTV News Toronto, Public Safety Minister Marco Mendicino’s office said they were aware of the “concerning” situation in Markham.

“We will continue to monitor for further details provided by the police of jurisdiction – the York Regional Police – as well as regional health authorities as the situation unfolds,” the statement read.

FOLLOW us ON GOOGLE NEWS

 

Read original article here

Denial of responsibility! My droll is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – [email protected]. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Leave a comment