Two juicy all-beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, and onions all on sesame seed buns! You’ll love recreating this copycat Big Mac burger at home.
If you really want to take your homemade burgers up a notch, try using homemade buns! They’re so much better than store-bought and have the best texture. Try these classic hamburger buns or brioche buns if you want to switch things up.
Homemade Big Mac Burger Recipe
Sure, you could just go to McDonald’s, but who wants a burger chock full of fillers that looks nothing like its picture? With this Big Mac burger recipe, you get everything you love about a Big Mac (like the special sauce!) but it’s much better quality. It’s comfort food at its finest and will have you satisfied down to the last bite.
Because, let’s be honest, is there anything better than sinking your teeth into a juicy all-beef patty topped with melty cheese, lettuce, onions, and Big Mac sauce? And let’s not forget that Big Macs have an extra bun in the middle, so the bread to burger ratio is just perfect! My mouth is watering just writing this. Trust me, you’re going to want to add these copycat Big Macs to the dinner lineup this week.
Burger and Sauce Ingredients
Mix all these flavors and textures up, and you’ve got yourself a homemade Big Mac – a tasty tower of yum that’s got a little bit of everything in each bite. Exact measurements are in the recipe card below.
- Ground Beef: The juicy patty that’s the heart of the Big Mac burger. It’s seasoned and cooked just right for that delicious, meaty taste.
- Salt and Pepper: Think of these as the flavor boosters. They make the beef taste even better!
- Sesame Seed Buns: You’ll need 2 bottoms and 1 top per burger.
- American Cheese: For some cheesy, melty goodness! You can also swap this out for cheddar, pepper jack, colby jack, you name it!
- Diced White Onion: These are the crispy, kind of spicy bits that add a kick and a satisfying crunch.
- Shredded Iceberg Lettuce: It’s crisp, it’s light, and it’s there to balance out the richness of the meat and cheese.
- Dill Pickle Slices: Sour and tangy, these cut through the richness, making sure each bite isn’t too heavy.
Big Mac Sauce:
- Mayonnaise: The rich and creamy base of the Big Mac sauce.
- Sweet Pickle Relish: Relish adds a sweet and tangy flavor to the sauce that’s so delicious.
- White Vinegar: For a little bit of tang.
- Garlic Powder: Makes the sauce nice and savory.
- Onion Powder: Another flavor booster!
- Paprika: Paprika adds a bit of smokiness and gives the Big Mac sauce a bit of kick.
- Turmeric: For a subtle earthy flavor that pairs well with the other ingredients.
Copycat Big Mac Burger and Sauce Recipe
Delicious, gourmet burgers ready in less than 30 minutes! Big Mac burgers are the perfect hearty meal and something that the whole family will enjoy.
Big Mac Sauce
- Whisk Ingredients Together: In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, pickle relish, vinegar, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, and turmeric. Chill in the refrigerator for several hours before serving. This will help the flavors meld together.
For the Burgers
- Shape: Divide the ground beef evenly into 3-ounce portions and form into balls. Then cover and place in the refrigerator while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- Heat Skillet: Heat your griddle or cast iron skillet to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Add to Pan: Place two balls of beef on the hot griddle or skillet. You can cook all of the hamburgers at the same time if your griddle will fit them all. Just work quickly because the meat cooks fast.
- Flatten: Press the ball of meat down with a large flat metal spatula. Get the patty as flat and thin as you can. You’ll be doubling up the patties, so don’t be nervous about a thin patty. It helps to cover the meat with a piece of parchment paper so it doesn’t stick to the spatula.
- Cook: Cook for 2-3 minutes on each side, then assemble.
- Layer: Add the following ingredients, working from the bottom up: bottom bun, big mac sauce, onion, lettuce, beef patty, cheese, pickles, bottom bun, big mac sauce, onion, lettuce, beef patty, pickles, top bun.
Tips and Variations
The best part of making homemade Big Mac burgers is getting creative and tailoring them to your liking. Enjoy experimenting with different ingredients and flavors!
- Quality Beef: Use good quality ground beef for the patty. Lean meat with a bit of fat (80/20 ratio) works well for a juicy and flavorful burger.
- Press Down Those Patties: While cooking, gently press down on the patties with a spatula to create a crispy exterior.
- Toasting Buns: Toast the sesame seed buns slightly to enhance their texture and prevent sogginess.
- Spicy Twist: Add a slice of pepper jack cheese and a drizzle of hot sauce or hot honey for a spicy kick.
- Different Sauces: Play around with other sauces – chipotle mayo, garlic aioli, or BBQ sauce for a personalized touch.
- Big Mac Sliders: Make smaller versions using slider buns for a fun party appetizer.
So, here’s the deal with a homemade Big Mac – it’s best when it’s freshly made. Since it contains ingredients like lettuce, pickles, and Big Mac sauce, it won’t hold up well over an extended period. The lettuce will wilt, the bun will become soggy, and the overall quality just won’t be as good. So enjoy it while it’s hot and fresh!
Big Mac Sauce
In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, pickle relish, vinegar, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, and turmeric. Chill in the refrigerator for several hours before serving.
For the Burgers
Divide the ground beef evenly into 3-ounce portions and form into balls. Cover and place in the refrigerator while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
Heat your griddle or cast iron skillet to 400° Fahrenheit.
Place two balls of beef on the hot griddle or skillet. You can cook all of the hamburgers at the same time if your griddle will fit them all. Just work quickly because the meat cooks fast.
Press the ball of meat down with a large flat metal spatula. Get the patty as flat and thin as you can. You’ll be doubling up the patties, so don’t be nervous about a thin patty. It helps to cover the meat with a piece of parchment paper to prevent the meat from sticking to the spatula.
Cook for 2-3 minutes on each side.
Add the following ingredients, working from the bottom up: bottom bun, big mac sauce, onion, lettuce, beef patty, cheese, pickles, bottom bun, big mac sauce, onion, lettuce, beef patty, pickles, top bun.
Updated on August 11, 2023
Calories871kcal (44%)Carbohydrates45g (15%)Protein37g (74%)Fat59g (91%)Saturated Fat19g (95%)Cholesterol133mg (44%)Sodium1079mg (45%)Potassium518mg (15%)Fiber2g (8%)Sugar8g (9%)Vitamin A324IU (6%)Vitamin C1mg (1%)Calcium392mg (39%)Iron6mg (33%)
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.
Denial of responsibility! My Droll is an automatic aggregator of Global media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, and all materials to their authors. For any complaint, please reach us at – [email protected]. We will take necessary action within 24 hours.