The Johnny Appleseed story is filled with interesting facts for kids. Today we have a printable Johnny Appleseed facts sheet and coloring page set perfect for Johnny Appleseed Days activities or an apple lesson at home or in the classroom.
The Johnny Appleseed Story
If you have ever wondered “is Johnny Appleseed real?” then download and print the Johnny Appleseed fun facts for preschoolers, Kindergartners and beyond. Psst…Johnny Appleseed’s real name was John Chapman!
Related: Check out facts for kids
While Johnny Appleseed Story is often considered an American folklore tale, many parts are true!
National Johnny Appleseed Day Celebration
We celebrate Johnny Appleseed Day twice a year not only because he introduced apple trees to new places, but also because he was loved by many people and made friends anywhere he went. Those Johnny Appleseed Day dates are:
- March 11
- September 26 on his birthday
10 Johnny Appleseed Facts
- Johnny Appleseed’s real name is John Chapman.
- Johnny was born in September 1774, in Leominster, Massachusetts, United States.
- We celebrate two Johnny Appleseed Days: Sept 26th, which is his birthday, and March 11, his death.
- Johnny was a missionary, and his favorite book was the Bible.
- He never married, but he wasn’t a lonely man: he had friends everywhere across America!
- Johnny was wealthy, but he didn’t like to flaunt it. Instead, he chose to dress modestly and even wore the same pants all year round.
- He didn’t plant seeds in random places; actually, he carefully planned, bought land, and cared for the trees he planted.
- He was so kind, that sometimes he gave away his trees to people who couldn’t afford them.
- He was a vegetarian! He loved animals so much and even rescued a wolf that he found in a trap.
- Johnny Appleseed loved sleeping under the stars in a hammock or burrowed in a pile of leaves.
Free Johnny Appleseed Facts Sheet & Coloring Page Set
Download and print the pdf version of the 10 Johnny Appleseed Facts for kids and using them as a printout or Johnny Appleseed coloring page.
This printable Johnny Appleseed worksheet set is perfect for both younger kids and older kids and will be an asset to any apple learning module or Johnny Appleseed history lesson.
Download & Print Johnny Appleseed pdf Files Here
Coloring the Johnny Appleseed Printables
All you have to do is print this Johnny Appleseed coloring page on regular sheets of 8.5 x 11 inch paper and you’re ready for a fun afternoon activity!
Let your kids use their imagination! They can use colored pencils, crayons, markers, or just anything they can think of!
Was Johnny Appleseed Real?
Johnny Appleseed was born John Chapman in Massachusetts in 1774 and he really liked apples.
He liked them so much, that he spent 50 years sharing his love for them by planting apple trees and apple orchards in many places!
Johnny was on a mission to feed as many people as possible, and that’s why he carried apple seeds with him in a sack as he traveled across the country, often barefoot.
And he traveled really, really far! He planted apple trees in Pennsylvania, Ohio, Indiana, and Illinois, West Virginia, and even went as far as Ontario, Canada!
More Ways to Explore the Johnny Appleseed Story for Kids
More educational and creative learning activities for kids! In case you need more than the free Johnny Appleseed printable and fun facts about his exciting story.
Which one is your favorite Johnny Appleseed fact? Mine is that he loved animals!