1 killed in ‘random’ attacks in north Edmonton

0

Police have taken a 25-year-old man into custody after one person was killed and two others were injured in northeast Edmonton Wednesday afternoon.

Family are identifying the deceased man as 38-year-old Brian Berland. Police have not yet confirmed the identity of any of the victims. 

The Edmonton Police Service apprehended Clarence Lawrence around 6 p.m. Wednesday. 

EPS has arrested Clarence Lawrence, 25, after one person was killed and two were injured in northeast Edmonton on Wednesday, Sept. 7, 2022. (Supplied)

Police asked people in the area of Hermitage Road and Henry Avenue NW to shelter in place while they investigated. 

EPS says the assaults are random.

There’s a heavy police presence in northeast Edmonton on Wednesday, Sept. 7, after one person was killed and two were injured in random attacks, according to Edmonton Police Service. (Nicole Weisberg/CTV News Edmonton)

Edmonton Catholic Schools locked the exterior doors of their schools from 4 p.m. until around 5:30 p.m., impacting dismissal at St. Nicholas Catholic Junior High School, St. Elizabeth Seton Catholic Junior High School, Anne Fitzgerald Catholic Elementary School, and St. Maria Goretti Catholic Elementary School. Around 6:30 p.m., the Edmonton Catholic School Board confirmed that the alert had been lifted and students and their families had been reunited.

Edmonton Public Schools also locked exterior doors at Homesteader, Belmont, Sifton, and Overlanders schools. Dismissal at those schools was also delayed until 5:30 p.m., when all four schools began dismissing students with the help of police.

Students at Belmont School were told to stay away from windows while they waited in the building.

A parent sent this photo from inside Belmont School on Sept. 7, 2022 as the school was placed On Alert because of a person in the area with an edged weapon.

CTV News Edmonton spoke to Lesley, a parent of two children at St. Maria Goretti School.

“I haven’t been told a whole lot, all I know is there are few people who have been stabbed and injured, we’re not allowed to get our kids. Everything is on lockdown right now,” she said.

Mayor Amarjeet Sohi tweeted about the incident on Wednesday, saying his thoughts are with everyone affected by the tragedy.

This is a developing story; more information will be posted as it becomes available. 

FOLLOW us ON GOOGLE NEWS

 

Read original article here

Denial of responsibility! My droll is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – [email protected]. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Leave a comment